One for the Veggies!

Yes, this blog post isn't about birds, but about vegetables. I haven't really been out birding for a while and honestly, I can't feel the "migration vibe" has started for me since I haven't even seen my first Brown Shrike for the season!

So, as I await my first Brown Shrike sighting, I will indulge and rave about the bayong (native bag or basket) of salad greens I have just picked up this morning.

I love green salad! In a buffet, I look forward to the salad and dressings being offered. Well, that and the meats, and dessert, and if there is brewed coffee ;) But the salad is a must for me. So when Jops and I listened to the talk of Charlene T. of Good Food Community during the recent GIG (Green Is Good) talk, I was determined to order myself some green, leafy vegetables asap!

My very first Salad Pack bayong!

Good Food Community is all about community shared agriculture, connecting consumers as directly as possible to the farmers, allowing them to thrive in a sustainable society.

So, I logged on to their website, placed my order for 4-weeks of salad packs, deposited my payment (BDO or PayPal), picked up my veggies from my chosen hub, and... ate my salad for dinner!


I picked up my bayong in my chosen hub
inside the UP Diliman campus.

Aside from UP Diliman, they have pick-up hubs in Loyola Heights, Katipunan, White Plains, New Manila, San Juan, Kapitolyo, Makati, and Malate (in Sev's Cafe!!!) You can even create your own hub!


I opened my bayong as soon as I got home and was happy to see
a fresh assortment of salad greens! There was a lot inside that bayong!
And I even got arugula!

I chose the Salad Pack which is a mix of salad greens (approximately 500g) but there are also other choices. They have the Bayong Pambahay which is a mix of greens and other vegetables, typically 6-8 types (approximately 3.5kg), and the Juice Pack which is a mix of juicing veggies (makes approximately 1/2 liter of juice.) You can choose to order bayongs for either 4 weeks or 12 weeks.


Looking at my pretty bouquet of salad greens makes me happy =)

I'm very happy I was able to learn about the Good Food Community and that, in my own salad-loving way, I have become a part of it. I did have a yummy, fresh green salad for my dinner tonight. Got a happy tummy and happy heart. Win-win. That's how it should be. =)

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm, we might also try this. Thanks for the info, Maia.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, Tito Bob! They have a hub very near your house! =)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes po! I get my greens ready for pickup every Wednesday =)

      Delete