New Year, New Life!

What a great way to start the new year with a neighborhood nest with chicks ready to fledge!


I first noticed that our neighborhood Olive-backed Sunbirds were extra noisy last December. I immediately had a suspicion that they had a nest nearby! I grabbed my binoculars and stepped outside to check out what all the noise was about. My suspicion was correct and I saw a pair of sunbirds busy flying back to our neighbors kamuning tree inside their garage! They were busy gathering nesting material from the surrounding houses and bringing them back to their almost-finished nest. I saw that they preferred collecting some of Princess's, our neighbor's dog, fur 😁

Djop and I had to leave Manila for the Christmas and New Year holidays so I was thrilled to see that the chicks haven't fledged yet when we returned in January! There were two chicks peeping out of the nest and would be fed regularly by their father.

Blurry shot of the father feeding its two hungry chicks

Just this past weekend, one of the chicks had already left the nest but the other stayed and was still being fed by the father.




I'm amazed and grateful that the sunbirds have chosen to build their nest just in front of our house and have successfully brought a new generation of young into our neighborhood! A great start to 2018!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!

PS I'll be uploading a short video here as soon as I get better internet connection ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment